Breast Cancer Screening in Houston, TX
Breast cancer is the second most common type of cancer that affects women. At North Cypress Women’s Center, board-certified (gynecological) surgeon Dr. Farhina Imtiaz specializes in breast cancer diagnosis for women in Houston and surrounding areas of Texas, including Cypress, Sugarland, and Katy.
What is Breast Cancer?
Abnormal cells that develop in the breasts may indicate breast cancer. The condition is the most common type of cancer in women after skin cancer. Men can develop cancer in their breasts, but the cases are rare due to the limited amount of tissue in men’s breasts. Research into safe and effective treatments for breast cancer have brought many new treatments to light, giving women much-needed hope and support.
Breast Cancer Treatment Benefits
Treatment for breast cancer improves your chances of survival. Dr. Imtiaz evaluates your breasts for early signs of cancer, such as:
- A pitted appearance to the breast’s skin, similar to cellulite
- Discharge from the nipple that contains blood
- Areola that is scaly, flaking or peeling
- Lumps and thickening of the breast tissue
- Changes in the appearance, shape and size of the breasts
What Causes Breast Cancer?
Researchers have not identified a specific cause of breast cancer. Certain risk factors have been associated with the likelihood of breast cancer, such as:
- Genetic predisposition to cancer
- Obesity and being overweight
- Starting menstruation at an early age
- Family history of breast cancer
- Having your first child when you are older
- Drinking alcohol
- Certain types of postmenopausal hormones
- Starting menopause at an older age
- Radiation exposure as a child
How is Breast Cancer Treated?
Surgery is the most common treatment for breast cancer. Breast cancer is treated by cancer specials working with breast surgeons. Based on the stage of your cancer, Dr. Imtiaz may recommend:
- Lumpectomy to remove the cancerous tumor
- Mastectomy to remove one or both breasts entirely
- Biopsy to remove lymph nodes
The surgery may be combined with chemotherapy and radiation therapy. Dr. Imtiaz may refer you to a plastic surgeon should you want breast reconstruction surgery after a mastectomy.
Breast Cancer Treatment Preparation
When you are diagnosed with breast cancer, you need a high level of clinical and emotional support. Dr. Imtiaz does not treat breast cancer. However, she will refer you to the appropriate specialist. She then works closely with your other physicians and specialists to coordinate your care and reduce your emotional stress. When you come to your appointment to learn about breast cancer treatment, you will feel confident about your prognosis and quality of life after treatment.
Recent advances in diagnosing and treating breast cancer gives women new hope for surviving the disease. At North Cypress Women’s Center, board-certified (gynecological) surgeon Dr. Farhina Imtiaz offers breast cancer treatments for women in Houston and surrounding areas of Texas, including Cypress, Sugarland, and Katy. Contact us today for additional information regarding diagnosis of breast cancer.